🧹 How to Clean a Menstrual Cup?
✨ How can I properly clean my menstrual cup?
The biggest advantage of a menstrual cup over other products such as pads or tampons, is that you can reuse it. This is why it is extra important to keep it hygienic and clean your cup properly. We tell you all the steps that matter before, during and after your period.
💪 Cleaning before use:
Before using your cup for the first time, you should sterilize it. This will kill all the unwanted bacteria. The Bamboozy Sterilizer is a disinfecting cup that allows you to clean your menstrual cup easily and quickly.
🧐 How does the Bamboozy Sterilizer work?
- Unfold the sterilizer cup and remove the lid
- Fill the cup with water up to the first, bottom, ring (about 12 ml)
- Place the menstrual cup in the sterilizer, with the stem facing upward
- Place the lid with a small opening on the cup (so do not close it completely)
- Place it in the microwave for about 1 minute on a high setting (1000W)
- Remove the cup from the microwave and remove the lid from the cup (watch out as to not burn yourself)
- After drying off, place the cup in the bag provided
- The cup is now completely free of bacteria and ready to use
If you do not have a sterilizer, it is also possible to clean your cup properly by boiling it in a pan of water for about 3 minutes. Make sure the cup does not touch the bottom. For example, you can hang it in a whisk. After this, the cup is also ready to use.
😌 Cleaning during use
During your period, you can leave the cup in place for up to 12 hours, depending on the severity of your period. If you need to change it during the day, we have some tips for this as well.
😬 Clean menstrual cup when you can use a sink:
Wash your hands first before taking out the menstrual cup. Then, empty the cup into the toilet and rinse it well with cold/warm water. You can use a mild/unscented soap if necessary, but always make sure to rinse off the soap residue completely before reinserting the cup. There are also women who like to empty the cup while showering.
😅 Clean menstrual cup without a sink:
Sometimes you may need to empty your cup while you are on the go or at work, for example. Then you may not always have immediate access to a sink. What you can do is take a small bottle of water with you in the bathroom stall so you can rinse it with water after emptying, above the toilet. If you really don't have water, you can briefly clean it with toilet paper. Just make sure that you then clean it more thoroughly at the next changeover.
😌 Cleaning after use:
It is necessary to resterilize your menstrual cup after each period.
You do this in exactly the same way as before the first use with the Bamboozy Sterilizer or by boiling it out in a pan.
After this, store your cup in a cotton bag. Do not use non-breathable bags or containers. Your cup is then ready to use for your next period.
😕 What if the menstrual cup got stained?
Because of the natural color of the Bamboozy cup, it is possible that light stains may appear on it over time. This can do absolutely no harm, but if this bothers you, you can give your menstrual cup an extra cleaning. Here are some tips:
- Scrub your cup thoroughly with a soft brush and a mixture of water and baking soda. Afterwards, place your cup in the sun for several hours to dry thoroughly.
- Sometimes it is recommended to soak your cup overnight in hydrogen peroxide (2% or 3%).
- Another possible option is a mixture of 1/2 part water and 1/2 part vinegar. However, this may affect the material of the cup. So watch out for this. If you do decide to try this method, wash your cup very well and boil it out before reinserting it.
😳 What if your cup gives off unpleasant odor?
To get rid of the unpleasant odor, it is necessary to give your cup a thorough cleaning. You can follow one of the tips above for this purpose. In addition, from now on, make sure to empty your cup on time and clean it thoroughly (without using harsh cleaning products).
🤗 Are you ready?
Are you done with tampons and pads and ready to switch to menstrual cups or menstrual underwear? Then check out our full collection here. For questions about the size, layers or function of the cups or underwear, you can always reach out. We are happy to help!